70th Birthday...

Finally, my "off-week" is here (technically it started yesterday), and I get a break from work and the sleep-deprivation that comes with it! I'm hoping this will allow me some time to get some crafting and blogging done (who cares about cookin' and cleanin' right?).

My awesome dad, whom I featured in a POST a few months ago, is having a milestone birthday this year. As of this Friday, he will be 70 years young. Funny thing is, he really does look and act younger than that age! He's incredibly active, and having retired twice already, he just can't seem to sit still; if he's not working, he's not happy. I've been wanting to get back into card-making for a while, and what better way to start of my crafting year (which is really the same as the calendar year, I just think calling it my crafting year has a nice ring to it) by featuring the hand-made card I put together for my super-awesome Dad. Here it is:


At first I didn't think the dark red would work with the blue and gray tones of the paper and cardstock, but looking at the finished product, I really like how the red pops. I've never been a big "stamper", and I'm just starting to dabble in that particular technique. On this card, I used two different clear vinyl stamps to add the HAPPY BIRTHDAY sentiment, and the CELEBRATE star. I practiced a couple of times at first, and I actually didn't like the results of my first tries. But then I read this tip somewhere:

When using clear vinyl stamps, it helps if you place the paper/cardstock on a crafting mat.


I'm not exactly sure of the science and physics behind it, but it worked. I think I did a pretty ok job, and I think with practice, I'll get the hang of applying just the right amount of even pressure to assure my stamped image is clear enough without looking too "heavy". Overall, I was pleased with my results here. Yea, I think my dad will like it...

Stay tuned! I have quite a few family and friends with winter and spring birthdays, so I'll have lots of cards to whip up. Hopefully I'll get to share more paper-crafting techniques along the way. And of course, if YOU have any you wanna share with me, I totally welcome it! Until next time...

✽ HAPPY CRAFTING!

6 blissful whispers...:

Deidra said...

Happy Birthday to your dad! The card is very cool. And I agree, "Crafting Year" sounds so much better than "2011." I may have to rename my year, too!

Mrs Gloves said...

Happy 70th Birthday Dad! He'll love the card. Very cute.

...stopping by from SITS...

KDC Events said...

Happy BDay to your dad! I love the card! Super cute. Homemade is always better!! Visiting from SITS today =)

Julie M. said...

That is a very cool card! I think you did a fabulous job; much better than I could have put together, that's for sure! A very happy birthday to your dad!

thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a thoughtful comment today. I hope you enjoy the rest of your week!

Unknown Mami said...

The card came out wonderfully. I hope you and your beautiful family are well.

TanyasTreasureTrove said...

Hi! I'm following you from Mom Monday's blog hop!I hope you visit me and return the follow:0)