At the Sheep Farm...

One of the most rewarding things about homeschooling is the seemingly endless amount of opportunities out there for our children to have some amazing hands-on learning experiences. Last week some wonderful homeschooling friends invited us to tag along with them to a sheep farm where the children, who happen to be the most wonderful set of triplets I've ever met, actually work and care for the sheep. They feed the sheep, give them water, and they even feed some roosters and chickens. I was most impressed that the triplets, named Ian, Dorian, and Claire, knew every single ewe and ram, knew each one's names, and remembered whether each one got special feed or grass or hay. Now I will admit that I'm not exactly what you call a farm gal, and I did sort of hide behind my camera while we were there. Hey, it was enough of a milestone for me to put on my rain boots and walk around the sheep pasture, stepping in mud and droppings, all without being too grossed out...or at least I was able to hide my grossed-out-ness. What can I say, I wanted to look cool for the kids.

Honestly folks, I did get over my grossed-out-ness not too long after we arrived there, because it was just such a beautiful place, and I was just so darn proud and awed at these kids. They were all so enthusiastic, energetic, and so committed to completing their tasks. The sheep were all so greatful for the love and care these great kids bestowed on them. And as a bonus, it was a wonderful learning experience for all of them, especially Jer, who had never done anything like this before.

So here are some pics from that wonderful day...

L to R: Claire, Dorian, Jeromy, and Ian

Claire and Jeromy getting the sheep feed ready.


Giving some hay to some hungry sheep.

Claire and Jeromy

The Gang rolling some hay to the farm's back pasture.

Feeding the chickens!

After all the hard work is done, it's time to go run and have fun!

And The Gang resting in a lean-to, after a long morning of hard farm work.
Here are more pics from our fun day:

Photobucket

3 blissful whispers...:

Prairiemaid said...

I love your pictures of the farm. So cool.

We also home school, but we live on the farm and raise dairy goats, along with a variety of other critters.

I'll have to come back and visit!

Blessings,
Cheryl

Erin said...

Looks like they had a ton of fun doing the "work"!

Unknown Mami said...

What a great experience! Love the slide show.