Child-like versus Child-ish...

This post is part of a series of answers to a 5000 QUESTION SURVEY. I'm not exactly going through all the questions in order; instead I've decided to answer those that jump out at me and inspire me to post. Some of the questions don't really apply to me or my life, and those I've chosen to ignore, which I can do since I am in fact overlord of my blogworld. 'Cause that's just how I roll. So here goes:

5,000 questions copy

8. Are you more child-like or childish?

I would definitely have to answer with CHILD-LIKE. The word childish has negative implications when used to describe a woman in her early thirties. Of course, adults are definitely known to act childish every once in a while, but when they do, it's not usually in a good way. Being described as childish as an adult tends to shed a not-so-bright light on that person.

For me, being CHILD-LIKE can be a wonderful experience. It's when you take pleasure in the purest and most simple forms of joy and happiness. Remember when you were a child, and the whole world was your playground? It was a time for adventures, a time when magic was real and all around, laughter came so easily, and breaking out in random acts of song and dance were not only a regular occurrence, but it was encouraged. {Yea, I still do that!} Ah, good times!

Since growing up and maturity tend to come with new and overwhelming responsibilities , it can be easy to lose touch with that child-like essence of yourself, to get so wrapped up in the day-to-day business of surviving that scary journey called adulthood. And with that, we can forget to just LiVE. I have my little boy to thank for the ability to stay connected to my child-like self. He makes it so easy, with his infectious laughter and never-ending quest to have as much fun and silliness as he can. Because of him, my inner-child always has someone to play with. We have so much fun together! So in what ways am I child-like? Glad you asked!...

CHILD-LIKE
* I love to build LEGO projects almost as much as Jer does. Yup, I actually have my very own sets, like this one:
* When we venture out to the park (when it's not blizzard-ing!), I like to practice my cartwheels in the grass. I usually fall on my face or my butt, and I'm pretty sure I scare the squirrels, but who cares? It's fun!

* I see nothing wrong with dancing and singing in the electronics department at Target if there's a really good song playing on the radio or TVs.

* Like most kids, the first thing I run for when we go to the playground is the swings. I can't help it! I love swinging through the air, feeling the sun on my face and the wind in my hair!

* Jer and I LOVE to ham it up and take goofy photos of ourselves. Just take a look at us:


Now of course, I've been guilty of acting childish from time to time. How is that different from being child-like? Well, here are some examples, and you can decide for yourself if there's a difference:

CHILD-ISH
* I've removed people off of my Facebook friends list because they irritated me. No questions, no discussion, just felt like it. I did it 'cause they weren't playing nice and I didn't wanna be friends anymore.

* I yelled at the teenager bagging my groceries at the store for not packing my items just the way I like it.

* I've been known to cry because I found out I wouldn't have cable TV or internet for a few days while we were moving. Yes, literally CRY!

* I threw a hissy fit when a particular FB totally awesome game!! application was down for maintenance.

* I have plotted severe retaliation when a stupid teenager boy was mean to my son. Yea, it was an elaborate plot, complete with duct tape, rope, and rotten fish. Did I actually put my plans into action? HA!...you will never know, MWAHAHA!
Incidents like these are generally few and far between. Thank goodness I have a very understanding hubby who knows that it's only temporary insanity when I'm being childish, and I haven't really lost my mind. Either that, or he's just thankful I haven't ended up in a straight-jacket in a padded room...or prison.

So what's our lesson for today, boys and girls? Go out there and reconnect with your child-like self, he/she misses you! And go easy on the childish stuff...I don't wanna have to bail you out! {wink!}

Wanna see more of my answers to this series? Click HERE!
Photobucket

6 blissful whispers...:

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

You know I relate to your child like qualities. There's too much fun to be had than to embrace only the adult like qualities. Children have pure, free without hangups, fun!!! Not a thing wrong with that.

Great post!

Aunt of 14 said...

Once, in retaliation... I prepared a tupperware canister of tuna fish juice. Just the juice. I left it alone for a week, in the sun. I took it to the parking lot with me at school one day, and poured the juice down the crack between the windshield wiper and the hood of the car belonging to this guy who was being horrible to me.

I wonder how long it took for him to get rid of the smell. And yes, this is childish. Oh well!

Miss Dot said...

Hahahahaha!!! I'm seriously wondering if perhaps there's a nasty teenage boy somewhere strung up with duct tape and rope who's still waiting to be rescued!

I'd have to say that I'm probably a lot like you -- more childlike than childish but I'm definitely guilty of the latter.

Great post!! :)

Tammy said...

I just helped my little guy put together his house just like that...it took hours! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am your newest follower! :0)

Scrappy Girl said...

I love love love this! I tend to be a little on the immature side...I mean come on...someone has to balance out Dr. Hubby's maturity level...lol. My sweet Dr. Hubby once told me that one of the things he loves best about me is my babyish side.

carma said...

Oh, I've been guilty of gravitating to the childish side from time to time :D