Small Talk Six: Childhood Memories

Jan. 9: Six of your most vivid childhood memories

It must have been fate that this was the topic for this week's Small Talk Six Saturday, since my mama recently sent me a huge package filled with a zillion photos of me as a little girl. I had so much fun perusing through them all, laughing and tearing up as all those memories flooded me with so many emotions. So I'm so glad to participating in STSS today, because it gives me a great excuse to share some nostalgia with you:

My dad was my hero, my favorite jungle gym to climb on, and one of my bestest friends.

Growing up, we didn't have a lot of money. But there was always the guarantee of entertainment during dinner, thanks to me!

To make some extra money for the family, we would all spend Saturdays and Sundays at this huge flea market, selling whatever we could, including items my dad procured from locations I have promised never to reveal. {shhh!}

I loved living in Hawaii! And this was my most favorite Hawaiian dress. I loved the red, the flowers, the way it moved in the breeze...and I just love how fabulous I looked in it!

I came to the United States from the Philippines when I was four years old. This photo is from that day, at the very first American Restaurant I ever ate in. This was a magical day for me: I was reunited with my parents and two older siblings after being apart for a very long time, and I received my first ever Happy Meal. Life was GOOD! {and does anyone else notice what a hottie my mama was?}
And now for my absolute favorite memory...

When we all lived in Hawaii, mom and dad would take us to the beach as often as possible. We'd spend the whole day there, sometimes we wouldn't even go home until after sunset. I absolutely LOVED swimming in the ocean, so much that mom and dad could never get me to leave the water to eat the lunch or dinner mom was grilling in the fire pit. Being the awesome dad he was, and fearing his little girl would starve, my dad would instead come to the edge of the surf to feed me grapes. I'd take one, eat it, and run back into the water...I'd splash some more, then run back to my daddy for another grape. This is one of my most precious memories, and this one of my most treasured photographs.
Do you have a favorite childhood memory?

If you want to join in the fun, click on the button to the right and you'll be on your way!

Photobucket

7 blissful whispers...:

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

Such precious pictures and memories. Seems like your dad was a very special man and helped create memories that you'll always remember.

You were a cutie pie as a little one.

Lisa Anne said...

I love looking through old photos and remembering the past.

Miss Always Carried Away said...

ohh wow!!! you were so cute as a child!!! I have a half sister - no she is not a family member but she is my best friend since I was 3. I spent whole my childhood with her and my parents and it was amazing!

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Oh if you aren't the cutest thing!! thanks for sharing all that with us!!

Unknown Mami said...

This might be my favorite post of yours. Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful pictures and memories.

Multiple personalities.. said...

Thanks ladies! This post was very near and dear to my heart, so thanks for showing me love! **HUGS**

Alicia said...

those photos were so cute!!! thanks for sharing your childhood with us...it really is so special!! that last story is so sweet!