Let's talk weddings, shall we?

If you've read even a little bit of my blog, you know that I have a hubby that I ABSOLUTELY love and adore. He's the sweetest guy you'll ever meet, and he treats me like a queen...well, because I am...at least in my twisted little mind I am. We've been married for five blissful years, but we've been together for a little more than eight. He's my best friend, my other half, and a truly spectacular dad to our son. I feel so lucky every day that I married him. See, this is us:

Aren't we just adorable together?!

But there's this itty-bitty thing that I think about from time to time...ok, I'll be honest, I think about it A LOT! I know it will seem a trivial thing for most of you since the only thing that should matter is that I found the great love of my life. But what can I say? The inner girly-girl in me can't help but feel a bit...denied. Here's the deal folks:

WE NEVER HAD A WEDDING!

That's right, Fred and I did the Civil Ceremony thing at the courthouse. Let me give you some background: We did initially plan on having an actual wedding; we even had the date picked out. But, since life is what happens when you're busy trying to plan it, things didn't quite work out the way we wanted, and we had to cancel that date. Fast-forward to a few months later, and we just one day decide that we were going to get married the following Friday, and we weren't going to tell ANYONE! So we were sort of eloping. Hubby applied for the marriage license on a Tuesday, and we got hitched that Friday. Of course, everyone was shocked, some were even upset that we didn't tell them, but nonetheless, we were happy to finally be married. And we've been happy ever since. But...and there's always a but...I am in fact a girl who still loves fairy tales; they still make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! And the truth is:

I REALLY WANT TO HAVE A WEDDING!

Oh how I want to have a wedding! I want it all: the white dress that makes me feel like a princess, my man in a tux that makes him look smokin' hot, our son in a tux as ring-bearer (is there an age limit on ring bearers?), and I want to have it at our church. I mean, I don't even have a photo of us from that oh-so-special day! Yes, yes, oh yes I want a wedding!

{WHEW!} Ok, glad I got that off my chest. For some reason this whole wedding business has been on my mind more, probably because everywhere I turn there are hundreds of wedding magazines on display, plus part of almost every craft store I go into looks like a WEDDING-PALOOZA exploded in it. Maybe that's why that yearning to walk down the aisle in a beautiful flowing wedding gown, with a bouquet of Sterling Silver Roses in hand, has been tugging at my heart strings. **SIGH**

Hubby and I have talked about this, and he says he does want to give me the wedding I've always wanted. Our goal right now is that by our tenth wedding anniversary, we can afford to throw a wedding bash together as we renew our vows in the church. Yea, I know, that seems like a long time to wait, but I think I'm ok with it. Fred and I have our whole lives together, so waiting a few more years won't hurt. So until then, I'll just be dreaming of gowns made of silk, gorgeous flowers, an elegant wedding cake, and having our friends and family with as we rejoice in the gift that is our love for one another. And that's truly the most important part, that we have the chance to renew our marriage vows in the company of our loved ones, while renewing our lifelong promises in the House of our Lord.

Until then, I hope you don't mind, every once in a while I may post about different ideas and inspirations for my dream wedding. I hope you will all enjoy it as I share with you!
Photobucket

10 blissful whispers...:

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

There's not a thing wrong with that! You have to have a wedding that you have dreamed of or you will always be left wondering what could've been. I say, go for it!

Working Mommy said...

As a wedding planner, I say go for it!!! I know it might be the ideal situation, but I have planned quite a few vow renewal anniversaries...either at 5 years or 10 years - and since you're already at 5 years, you might look into doing something special at 10 years. Just a thought :)

~WM

Acting Balanced Mom said...

Stopping by from SITS - go for it! I have seen lots of great anniversary/vow renewal celebrations and you have the perfect reason to have one!

Tina Lane said...

I hope you get everything you want! Big BEAUTIFUL dress included. The Hubs and I would like to renew our own vows someday too.

Stopping by from SITS.

Melissa Papaj Photography said...

This sounds wonderful and there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with it. I have been to three of them already :) Just so you know, I do travel ;) And even better, if your son is too old to be a ring bearer...mine walked me down the aisle at three years old and there wasn't a dry tear in the room...well garden :) Best of luck and you're never too old to hang onto your dreams OR accomplish them :)

Unknown Mami said...

I think the waiting will make your wedding even nicer because you already know the marriage works and this will just be a celebration.

Anonymous said...

I would love to attend your wedding. I could even work on your cake!! That would be awesome. Making my sis's wedding cake!!

Anne

Mademoiselle Deva said...

Ohh You do look adorable and cute together!!! I hope you will have your white big wedding! I too dream of that! Have you thought about the dress??? It's like all about THE DRESS!!!!

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

yay! Do share it with us!! I can't wait to ride along on the journey with you.. and you've got plenty of time to plan! How fun.

Sandy said...

What a great idea! Do it! Everyone deserves a wedding they can look back at.

Thanks for stopping by on my SITS day!