Chili Night: Jeromy's Debut

Tasty Thursdays presents...

There's something I want to make very clear: I absolutely LOVE food. I love to eat it, smell it, taste, see it, bake it, cook it, etc. I love watching cooking shows on Food Network; there's something about the way that Bobby Flay character maneuvers around a grill, the way he battles it out in kitchen stadium like a chef-gladiator... {AHEM} Sorry, got distracted there for a second.... I'm not the greatest cook in the world, and in many ways I'm still learning to apply my limited gastronomical skills in ways that won't set off the smoke alarm in the house. Nonetheless, despite my amateur home chef status, I find that nothing else makes your food taste SOOO good than a healthy dose of LOVE in it. I don't care how many culinary degrees you have or how many restaurants you own, or how many cooking shows you have: a meal made with love beats a fancy schmancy five-star restaurant meal any day. And what I bring to the table today, my lovelies, is the super-yummy HOME-MADE CHILI cooked up by none other than my chef-in-training, Jeromy.

This recipe is actually one that hubby uses every time we have a craving for chili. And let me just tell you folks, he follows it to the big fat letter 'T'. He never deviates from it or tries to experiment by using different ingredients. Thank goodness, because I personally think this is THE best chili recipe ever. It's super-chunky, full of flavor, and with just the right amount of heat. So this last chili night that we had, I was uber-delighted when hubby decided to take Jeromy into the kitchen and let him make his first-ever batch of MAN-FOOD. Being the nervous mama that I am, I wasn't sure about him being so close to an open-flame, or wielding a sharp object. But, I decided to have faith and let my guys work it out in the kitchen. Besides, who was I to argue? I was being given a night off from cooking, so I really had no business complaining. I relinquished control of my kitchen, my sanctuary, and got cozy on the couch watching re-runs of Criminal Minds, whilst awaiting the culinary offerings that was to come.

Now, like the good blogging mom that I am, I crept back into the kitchen a few times to take a few photos with my cell camera. The boys grudgingly allowed me my fun, but of course made me leave as soon as I was done snapping. From my spot in the living room I could hear the sounds of sizzling food, chopping, and man voices. Soon enough, all sorts of delicious smells were permeating throughout the house, and dinner was ready. I have never seen a boy so proud of his culinary work! He had put so much work and love into it. This kid had the biggest smile on his face, and he couldn't wait for me to taste it. We all spooned hefty portions of the chili into bowls, passed around slices of store-bought corn bread (what? I haven't taught the boy baking yet!), and Jeromy announced that I was to take the first bite. And I did...and I was in Chili-made heaven! It was absolutely delicious! My baby was just beaming with pride, as was hubby, like the master watching his grasshopper reach for the stars. The three of us ate just about the whole pot that night. I was a happy, fed, and proud mama!

Here's the recipe in case you want to try it. For the those of you who prefer a little less heat in your chili, feel free to reduce the amount of chili powder.

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 cup onion, chopped
3/4 cup green peppers, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 16-oz can diced tomatoes, unstrained
1 16-oz dark red kidney beans, strained
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed (or use fresh, your choice)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper.

In a large skillet, cook ground beef until browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain excess fat. In a large soup pot over medium heat, add the browned meat, onions, peppers, and garlic. Cook until the onions and peppers are tender. Stir in canned tomatoes (including the juice), beans (drained), tomato sauce, chili powder, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring often, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.

According to hubby, the key to getting all those delicious flavors to come out is making sure you LOVE on the chili, meaning make sure you stir it often. And that's it!



Happy eating folks! And remember, always put the love in your food!

Photobucket

5 blissful whispers...:

Yankee Girl said...

That sounds all kinds of delicious! Chili is the best wintertime food. And you are lucky to have helpers!

momentsinaneye said...

wOW, Love this receipe for chili. I will definatly try this one. I am coming to you by way of SISTS. Thank you for letting me visit.

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

Yum! And not only that, you didn't have to cook it. I see a chef in training happening. Good for Jeromy!

Mrs Gloves said...

Chili would be great for a snowy day like today!

...stopping by from SITS...

Steph @ Stick It in the Fridge
pleasestickitinthefridge.blogspot.com

Lisa Anne said...

It looks so good. If only I ate beans!