Tasty Thursdays: Wind Puffs

"Bunuelos de Viento"


It's been a while since I've come across a recipe that I wanted to share with you for Tasty Thursdays, but I do think this one was well worth the wait. I made these delicious treats for the kids and moms of our homeschool group's Geography Club meeting last month. Each time we meet the group focuses on a particular country, and for November the country was Spain. Also for each meeting each family is assigned to bring in certain parts and activities that center around a particular aspect of the culture we are studying. As luck would have it, Jer and I were assigned food, meaning I would need to find a Spanish recipe. My other 'food partner' for the month, Stephanie, said she would be bringing in Vegetable Paella, so I offered to bring in a sweet treat. Now mind you I knew I had to bring in the food for our club meeting well in advance, but guess who has a penchant for procrastination? This gal! Before I know it, it's the day before our club meeting, and I had nothing.

So as most of us do when we get stumped about a particular subject, I googled "Spanish dessert recipes". One particular recipe kept popping up on the different sites I visited, which was Bunueles de Viento, or Wind Puffs. And for some reason it kept bugging me because somehow it sounded so familiar. Where in the world had I heard of or seen that before? I kept thinking about it..*JEOPARDY music playing in my head*...and finally it hit me! Duh!! It was in one of the cookbooks I had at home called Memories of Philippine Kitchens by Amy Besa and Romy Dorotan. This is one of my most prized cookbooks as it showcases how wonderful Philippine cuisine is. And now your asking what the heck a Spanish dessert is doing in a Philippine food cookbook, right? Well, it makes total sense since the Spanish did occupy the Philippine islands for a VERY long time, and therefore had a huge influence on its cuisine. *Wow! A history lesson plus a recipe, aren't you lucky, he he!*

It looked easy enough to make, and plus it did look very yummy, so I figured, what the heck? I took a bit of a gamble by making these for the first time the day of the club meeting, and I'm so glad I did! It turned out very well, all the kids and mom's loved it, as did Jer and I. Wind Puffs are basically fried dough, but it is incredibly light on the inside, and it's like biting into a puff of air, and this is why it's named Wind Puffs. It's served warm with a traditional powdered sugar icing, and it is diving! I mean really, fried dough puffs drizzled in sugar? YUM! So if you wanna try it, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
Canola oil for frying

In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, sugar and salt with water and bring to a boil, stirring to melt the butter and dissolve the sugar. Take the pan off the heat and add the flour all at once, beating continuously with a wooden spoon until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan and forms a ball. Transfer to an electric mixer and bowl and let cool slightly. With a paddle attachment, beat in the eggs one at a time. Cool completely.



This is how is it will look when you transfer the hot 'dough' into your mixer bowl.

And this is after you've beat the eggs in.

While the batter is cooling, make your powdered sugar icing:

Place 1 cup of powdered sugar into a bowl. Drizzle about 2 Tablespoons of orange juice on top and mix. Keep adding orange juice a teaspoon at a time until you've reached the desired consistency, which in this case, you want it thin enough that it will be easy to drizzle over the puffs (see the pics).

Fill up a large saucepan with about 3-4 inches of Canola oil. Place over medium-high heat and heat until the temperature reads 360 degrees Fahrenheit with a candy thermometer. (Ok, I'll admit that I didn't use a candy thermometer and I just somehow know when my oil is ready. If you're not comfortable doing that, than by all means use a thermometer)


Drop the batter by the tablespoon into the oil, making about 6 at a time, adjusting the heat as needed. Fry the bunuelos (puffs), turning to cook evenly on all sides, *they're gonna be bobbing around, just move around a bit and they should turn pretty easily*, until they've risen to the top and are nicely browned and puffed, about 6 to 7 minutes. Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.

Serve them warm with some of your icing drizzled on top.

Enjoy!!


**This recipe is courtesy of Memories of Philippine Kitchens, and is owned by its authors. I have not received any compensation for posting this...I'm just a Mom and foodie who loves all things fried and coated with sugar!**



Photobucket

6 blissful whispers...:

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Sniff, sniff... is someone frying dough over here??? My nose led me cause I can't resist a little fried dough... ev-uh.

Neither can my hips.

And you'll be fed-exing it to my house later today correct?

Giggle.

Working Mommy said...

Alas...I don't have the time, nor the patience, to make these...but they sure do look YUMMY!! Do you ship??

~WM

Sassy Chica said...

Hot Damn those look delish, thank you so much for sharing!!!

Smooches,
Sassy Chica

Sassy Chica said...

p.s-I love the Chirstmas themed background on your blog....its FABULOUS!!

Miss Always Carried Away said...

You're new Christmas look is so gorgeous!!! so super cute!!!

The recipe looks delicious!!! like super tasty!!! I'm preparing right now a list of things to buy coz I will prepare a home made food /like little cookies etc/ as a Christmas gifts... it's like a tradition:)

Unknown Mami said...

Oh, I just know I'll love these.