"HUZZAH!!"

Jeromy the Pirate...arrggghh!

Oh yes, I said it..."Huzzah!"...a cry not often heard in modern times, except for when my family and I join in the festivities at the annual Maryland Renaissance Festival. For those of you who don't know what it is, I will do my best to explain. It is a Festival that runs from the end of August to the end of October, when folks gather together to turn a wooded area of Annapolis into something out of a Shakespearean play. Here people get dressed in their best Renaissance attire (everyone has an outfit like that in their closet right?), walk around "Revel Grove" to visit the numerous shops displaying crafts by both local and national artists, eat all sorts of delicious goodies, play games, and even get a massage by "Her Majesty's Healers". You can also have your fortune told, your hands immortalized in the form of a plaster statuette, and have your hair braided (yes, guys too). There are shows galore, most of them of a humorous nature. Musical acts delight adults and children alike with everything from Celtic Acts to German Medieval Minstrels. One of our favorite acts is Wolgemut (pronounced vol-guh-moot), a truly awesome musical minstrel troupe that plays medieval German wind instruments and drums. It's the Festival's version of a rock concert...so awesome! Plus, there's a jousting arena, where men dress up in their armor, mount their noble steeds, and...yes, you guessed it, joust. The three of us (me, Jer, and Fred) decided to go during Pirate weekend...oh yea, did I mention they have "theme" weekends? There's Irish Weekend, Pirate Weekend, Shakespeare weekend, and more. Pirate weekend is our favorite, since my guys love to dress up like pirates. I, on the other hand, dress it up in a traditional Renaissance outfit. We have a blast every time we go, and the weekend we went was not different. So if any of you live in or close to Maryland, you should try to make it to this wonderful festival. Here are some pics I took, I hope you enjoy them.


Beautiful 'faeries' on stilts. They are quite a sight to see!

King Henry Tudor VIII, addressing his 'subjects' in Revel Grove.

My two awesome Pirates... AARRGGHH!

Me and my Pirate boy. Yes, that is a corset I'm wearing.
Thank goodness it was a fairly cool day!


Ok, I'll admit it, this is the real reason I go: FRIED CHEESE!!

Jer munching on a 'Steak on a Stake.'

A noble knight getting ready to joust...

...now getting lined up to charge.

Knights jousting for victory...HUZZAH!

Jer with the musicians of the awesome Wolgemut!

Ok, now for some trivia. Remember, NO CHEATING! That means no looking it up. And I'll know if you did, so don't do it! (Ok, I won't know, but play along, it's fun!):

What is Maryland's official State Sport?



12 blissful whispers...:

Lisa Anne said...

That looks like so much fun. If we had one of those fairs here I'd totally dress up and go! I'm jealous. Such great pictures!

Unknown Mami said...

You all look fantastic!

wind in the wildwood said...

That looks like so much fun, That's awesome that you guys dress up!

Sonya said...

I'm gonna guess Jousting as the official state sport?

Im SO LOVING the pictures and wow what a fun thing to join in on! I love your outfit and the two pirates look great! the food..oh man that looks so good. Have a wonderful sunday!

Joanna Jenkins said...

You had me at "fried cheese" but the Festival is terrific too :-)

Your pictures are great and it looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing.
xo

Little Ms Blogger said...

Found you on the Fifty Factor.

Guess MD state sport is Lacrosse. I'm guessing that because my sister lives in MD and remember my nephew saying that Lacrosse is much bigger sport than football when he was in highschool.

kate said...

What an amazing day!! My boys would disappear under knightly gear and never resurface:)

Deborah said...

Hi,
I just found your blog, it's nice! I also joined... We have a fair like this about 1 hour from my home but I have never gone. It looks like fun!

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

How fun!!! I have always thought this kind of thing would be a scream to attend!! And girl, you are rockin that corset. Very cute!

Aunt of 14 said...

I went to the Renaissance Fair one year in college, and it was SO MUCH FUN. I'm glad you went! :)

Jessabell said...

It looks as though you had a great time, and I love your outfits!

Miss Always Carried Away said...

aaaaaaaaaaa!!!! what a great idea!!! once in Spain I took part in some knights fight - we got a huge chicken and we could throw chicken bones to unliked knight! our knight won! ha! ha! ha! of course OUR won! I just LOVE the idea!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE! What a fun!

Miss Always Carried Away! is the former Deva84. Changed my name, changed a bit a look of my blog!

mwah mwah!