Week One Down...Several More To Go

This post is to share with you all how the first week of home-school here in Casa de Bliss (well, at least I like to think of home that way) went. The difference between last year and this year is so dramatically apparent already. There was no crying, no whining, no wanting to crawl in the fetal position.... and Jeromy did very well too. As I had posted before, we decided to do things different this year by not using a pre-made, pre-boxed curriculum, and I am now fully in charge and in control of what and how Jeromy learns. Instead of going on and on about the numerous things that we are just loving about this year (and you all know I'm long-winded!), here's a short break down of our top five (in random order) reasons this year's homschooling is, quite simply, DA-BOMB-DIGGITY!...


FREEDOM - I love having the feeling of having total reign and control of how our school day is gonna go. It takes more work on my part in terms of lesson planning, but it is sooooo worth it.

FLEXIBILITY - I love that if I think a particular assignment or reading seems redundant and unnecessary, I can just say, "HAH! Don't have to do it, 'cause that's how we roll! Mwahahaa!!"

AFFORDABILITY - Yea, I gotta tell ya, it's so awesome not shelling out over a thousand bucks for a pre-made curriculum.

NO TEARS - Yes, like I mentioned before, there are no tears this year.... well, at least not yet.

ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENTS - There has been such a wonderful shift in Jeromy's attitude towards school now that his studies are so much more geared towards his learning style. He is always so excited to start school now, unlike last year, when the mere mention of "Calvert" made him break out into hives.

And you fellow homeschoolers out there, I'd love to hear how your homeschooling is going this year. Or if you don't homeschool, I'd still love to know how your week has been!




7 blissful whispers...:

Unknown Mami said...

So happy to hear it's going well! I can only imagine the rend will continue.

roadrunner201 said...

Good job working to gear the learning toward his learning style. All teachers, public, private, and home should strive for the same.

Deva84 said...

wow!!! go mum!!! you're such a good mum and teacher! I admire you that you want to teach for child and you have patience.

Lisa Anne said...

I think it is great you all are finding your homeschooling niche. I know nothing about it or how it works, but think it's wonderful. I would probably home school my son if I could.

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

DA-BOMB-DIGGITY? Just about the BEST ever comment about how the year is going... I think I'm going to adopt it girlfriend.

Of course, my children are mulling over tying me up in the pantry so they can take over the craft supplies but that is to be expected I think...

I'm working on the joining thing... I'll tell ya more on that later, but needless to say, I'm not such a big joiner, and there are a lot of things on my calendar all of a sudden... it's scaring me. I might tie MYSELF up in the craft closet just to get away... just joking.

glad to hear you are doing well with it!!

Lisa Anne said...

It came out more like egg roll then lumpia. How do you make it as I have a lot of the meat mix in my freezer? I totally think we used the wrong paper. Do you fry them completly in oil? Do you coook your meat first? I'm curious to know.

carma said...

No screaming and whining? It's all good then :D