Ft. McHenry

I've lived in Baltimore for almost nine years now, and I had no idea that a historical treasure was a quick 8-minute car ride away from where I live. Our homeschool group went on a field trip to Fort McHenry yesterday, and we had such a blast. It was a beautiful day, too. The sun was out, so it was nice and warm, but a cool steady breeze kept us company the whole time, making it a very pleasant outing.

The wonderful National Park Service Rangers and volunteers made our trip both educational and super-fun. They started by showing our group a short movie about the Defense of Baltimore and the Battle at Fort McHenry during the War of 1812. Then one of the Park Rangers talked to the kids more about the Fort, followed by a guided tour of the star-shaped fort.


Statue of Commander George Armistead



Afterwards we all explored the grounds and the buildings, all the while learning about the great history of Fort McHenry.



Heading into the bomb shelter...

and having fun making loud echoing sounds in the bomb shelter.

The room where they kept all the ordinance....cool!



My son sitting on a bomb...never thought I'd say that without panicking, he he!

Then another Park Ranger brought out a life-size replica of the flag that flew over Fort McHenry the night that Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner. Everyone in the group participated in discussion of why that flag is so significant, and what it still represents today.



This was really a great way to start our school year. Jer and I both learned so much, and we've both gained a much greater perspective of how historically significant our fair city is. It's made us both appreciate it even more. We're both looking forward to exploring more historical landmarks here in Charm City.


Now here's a trivia question for YOU:
Without looking it up (meaning NO CHEATING!), how many stars and stripes were on the flag that flew over Ft. McHenry the night Francis Scott Key wrote the Star-Spangled Banner?


10 blissful whispers...:

Scrappy Girl said...

I have no idea...the American History museum closed before I could get to that display while I was in DC...LOL!

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

NO Cheating?? what?!

I'm cheater to the core.

I'm kidding of course...

What a fun trip!! I wanna sit on a bomb too....

Lisa Anne said...

Great pictures. Looked like a really fun group field trip. I'm loving your sons glasses!

Genny said...

Love that picture of everyone holding the flag. What a wonderful, educational time that looks like it was!

Sassy Chica said...

Oh my, what lovely pictures!
I visited Mt Rushmore as a mid- teen and to this day I remember the aha moment of the spledid glory for this great country of ours!

Smooches,
Sassy Chica

Atlanta said...

That looks like a fun trip! We'll have to make it up there one weekend! =) Fun times! I love all that history! Makes you feel a little more connected somehow to our past.

Unknown Mami said...

I can't believe the size of that flag.

Transparent Mama said...

Ummm.. I don't know but I love all the photos. What a great way to start the trip.

By the way, my post wasn't really a dream, it all actually happened during the last week.

Mama Mel said...

Wow! Looks like a fun time! My hubby would love this! He loves anything about history! Especially war history. :)

I don't know the answer to the question, but I'm gonna guess 20 and 13?

Deva84 said...

I gave you an award. Hope you don't mind:) Have a great day gal!