"Oh, it's an 'E'!"

For you parents out there, I have this question: do you ever experience those moments when you realize that because your child(ren) got 50% of their DNA from you, they are doomed in one way or another? Well, I had that moment yesterday at the optometrist's office with Jeromy, where we went for his annual eye exam and a new pair of glasses.

The doctor began the exam by having my boy read the very top line of a series of letters and numbers (with his current pair of eyeglasses on). You all remember how eye exams go right? Any-hoo, Jer couldn't read it, but, no biggie right? Doc let's down another set of slightly larger numbers and letters... "Um, I can't read those either." .... Another bigger set appears at the top.... "How 'bout now?"......"Um...no.." ..... By this time my face is scrunched up, trying to figure out if maybe my funny kid is just playing around, or if he really couldn't see. Yet another set of letters drops down, this time it was just two big letters...stil no cigar. Finally the doc lets down the very last line, which is just one GIGANTIC letter 'E'.... "Oh, it's an E!" .... Holy cow!

So the doc starts fiddling around with the eye exam machine, clicking around the levers, rotating lenses, etc. After about 20 minutes of "read the top line", "which is better, number one or number 2?", "how 'bout now?", "can you see that now?", "no, read from LEFT to right, not right to left," the doc finishes, and starts mumbling to himself as he starts writing all sorts of stuff in Jer's chart. "Well, he's definitely gonna need new glasses." Y'all, do you know how bad I wanted to say, "well duh!", but I didn't, since Jer was there. "So doc, how much worse did his eyesight get?" Are you all ready for it? My little man's eyesight went from 20/200 to slightly over 20/400!! Seriously?!

**SIGH** ..... So that's when I realize that my gorgeously handsome boy was doomed to the same fate I was dealt, and I could already see his future, filled with ever thickening glasses, which eventually will have to be special ordered due to the incredibly high prescription and very bad astigmatism. Oh, and by the way, I see dollar bills floating out the window because these special lenses cost a lot more than regular lenses. And when he's old enough to get contact lenses, it will be the same story: no optometrist office within a 500 mile radius will have the lenses he needs in stock, because guess what? Once again, they will have to be special ordered from the one company that makes them..... oh look, more floating dollar bills!


I was a bit surprised at the frames that he picked out, but after staring at his face for about 10 minutes straight, I realized that I like them. I like that they aren't the wire frames that tend to get bent in all sorts of ways due to Jer's very active lifestyle. What do you all think? He's stylin' right?

This kid can't resist a goofy face when he finds out I'm taking pics for the blog!
What can I say, he likes showing off for you.


8 blissful whispers...:

Scrappy Girl said...

I can't believe that Manga Dork skipped right past Dr. Hubby's scoliosis and my childhood asthma! Those were the 2 biggies for me.

I love the glasses...great choice. Reminds me of AI's Danny Gokey.

Aunt of 14 said...

Totally stylin'! My own glasses are similiar to this...

Lisa Anne said...

I think it's a great choice of frames. they suit him really well. The 50's style look is back in. That's a 50's style right, I don't know he looks good and I don't think anyone can make fun of him for those.

ps i feel the hurt of the pocket book, I have astigmatism and my contacts are so much more expensive plus i have 2 different prescriptions in my eyes so I have to order twice as much. Grrrr and it's not like insurance covers anything.

Mama Mel said...

I also worry about some multiple "problems" my son could inherit from me... I do not have the best genes, health-wise. He already has mild asthma from me... ugh! I am just guessing that he will probably need glasses too. On the bright side, your son looks super cute in his new glasses! :) I like the plastic frames myself... much more durable. My wire ones would always get bent too...

One Sassy Girl said...

That kid can wear some glasses!! I love glasses. They're one of my favorite accessories and I think they're super hot on guys.

Sydney said...

He looks so cute in his glasses! My little guy has inherited my seasonal allergies, unlucky for him. He's doomed to sniffles, coughs, and congestion for most of spring and all of fall. Poor kid!

Windsting said...

Oh man! But those glasses, are way cool! Anna

Deva84 said...

sorry to hear he's got eyes problems. Maybe he should get laser treatment for his eyes?
Anyway he looks great! handsome boy and soooo cute!

I'm so glad I'm back. I miss my blogging world!
bisous Hun!