Crab Feast


I'm a little late posting about this due to being attacked by some crazy summer flu virus, which incidentally was not enough powerful enough to stop me from attending this most awesome Crab Feast. Yes, my cyber-friends, a crab feast, where you get to eat all the steamed Maryland Blue Crabs your stomach can hold.

I wasn't feeling very well on Friday night, but I knew that there was no way I was going to miss out on this delectable feast. So Saturday night I medicated myself with all sorts of OTC stuff and we made our way to the local American Legion hall. All the tables were draped in heavy brown paper, each place setting complete with a wooden mallet and knife, and there was a buffet at one end of the hall, while the band/DJ was set up on the other end. The crabs, steamed in some seriously delicious seasoning (Old Bay along with other spices that make me you crave it beyond what's considered normal for the average person), were brought to your table one box at a time; each box contained about two dozen crabs. Not long after we got there I was up to my elbows in it. Everyone was whacking away to get to the much sought after meat in the claws, and prying the crabs open to get to the meat inside. People, crab shell was flying through the air, a few small pieces landed in my hair, and a few down my shirt, and I absolutely did not care. The band was performing their 'interesting' (and that's putting it kindly) renditions on some classics... everything from Sinatra to 'Pump up the Jam' by Technotronic (told you it was interesing!). But I heard nothing as I pried into crab after crab, relishing each one with a fervor that is almost too embarrassing to talk to about...oh who am I kidding? When it comes to steamed crabs, there is no shame in my game people! All the etiquette and dignified dining rules I usually exhibited had no place there, where everyone was just tearing it up and devouring all the crabs they could get their greedy paws on...yea, I was one of the greedy-paws-people!


By the end of the night I had no idea how much crab I had consumed...all I know is that box o' crabs got refilled at least eight times that evening (no, it wasn't just me eating, there were eight people at our table). I was so full, but were it not for the fact that my hands and arms were aching from prying open so many crabs, I think I would've kept going until I passed out.... don't judge me folks, IT WAS JUST THAT GOOD!! And I'm sorry I don't have more photos from the Feast... again, this chick was up to her elbows in crab shell, crab claws, and caked on crab seasoning...mmmmm!

Yes, that is hubby licking the seasoning off the crab.

Thanks to my stealthy brother in law, we were able to smuggle some out to bring home to Jeromy, who couldn't come to the Feast since it was adults only (there was liquor involved). And just look at this face...could he be any happier? I think not! And since hubby and I were still recovering from the prior evening's smorgasbord, we let Jeromy have all the crabs we brought home. Only because he's my son and I do love him dearly.... otherwise, I would have been like a troll hoarding food! As such, I was glad to see Jeromy enjoy them so much.

"I love me some crab!"

"Open up! I want the meat!!"

"What? Don't you suck on crab claws, too?"

And now it's Monday, and I have the full-on, knock-you-on-your-butt flu. I feel wretched...maybe it's punishment for eating so many darn crabs. Gluttony is a sin after all, right? Oh well, all I gotta do is close my eyes and remember the delicious crabs, and somehow this flu doesn't seem so bad. **SIGH**

15 blissful whispers...:

Aunt of 14 said...

Nooooo I cannot do that!!! I cannot even come near fish of any kind. Except fried shrimp!!

Lisa Anne said...

That looks so good. We have a seafood festival coming up here in September and I cannot wait to go. Till then I'll just stare at your pictures and be jealous while imagine that's mean instead of your son chowing down on the crab.

longing to be fed until my heart is content or my stomach explodes.

The Laughing Idiot said...

I love crabs! My B-I-L used to work for Joe's Crab Shack and we ate for free - totally took advantage of that at least once a week.

Your son is going to hate you for that last picture when you include it in his high school graduation montage :)

Also, about my scrolly thing in the side bar. You want to visit my buddy at Kitty Designes.

She's got all kinds of other tips and tricks so do a little exploring. Let her know I sent you over - we all love the blog love!

Deva84 said...

now you made me hungry! it looks so delicious!

you boys look so adorable eating their meal!

bonne soiree ma chere!

Unknown Mami said...

I hope you feel better soon! Next time smuggle some crab out for me.

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Oh honey, you're sick!! That's just awful! And in the Summer too? Just nasty.

But the crab sounds wonderful and I would have been loving that. I love crab. And lobster. Yummmm.

I hope you feel better really soon!

Scrappy Girl said...

I am not a seafood lover so I don't like crab legs. Looks like a good time though. I am so sorry that you are feeling bad. I hope it goes away quickly. Hopefully you can curl up with a pillow, blanket, and a chick flick...and maybe some 7Up...those are all my flu fighters!

Windsting said...

It sounds great, and I bet the music was fun! Anna

Christina said...

Oh gosh, I love me some crab!

I am so jealous!

MIra is triplet crown said...

Oh I miss Maryland crab. Used to live in frederick. The west coast dungeness does not compare. Ah well. perhaps I'll be back some day!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Hee hee... Remember the movie Splash when Madison devours the lobster??? I bet you were a bit like her. ;-)

I do hope you feel better soon. It's no fun being sick!

Melissa said...

I'm sure that was good! Not to me... but for you guys.

Too much work to get in my belly :)

Mama Mel said...

I LOVE crab! Maybe it's because I am a Cancer (sign). Seeing these pics, made me reminisce about a trip to SC when we went crabbing. So fun! I caught 12 blue crabs... then boiled them and ate them! Yum! :)

Sorry you're sick. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Yankee Girl said...

That all looks so yummy! I wish I lived somewhere I could get fresh crab!

The pictures made me so hungry!

shelley said...

hey there nice to meet you, stopping over from sits roll call this fine morning... i am sooo allergic to shellfish and i miss it soo much, i mean "who doesn't love a maryland crabcake?" but crabfests too much fun! glad you enjoyed, sorry you are so sick! :) feel better.. i have 2 posts today stop by and say "hi"
-shelley
http://iamstillstandingafterallthistime.blogspot.com
http://theplaygroundprincess.blogspot.com