Who needs baking soda?


I'm not exactly sure what possessed me to want to bake chocolate chip cookies on a day when the temperature was upwards of 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Then again, hardly anything ever stops me from indulging in chocolates and sweets! Having just bought a bag of my favorite Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips, I figured, why not? So I dragged out my awesome KitchenAid stand-up mixer (I love that thing!) and commenced the preparation. I got all the wet ingredients in the mixer bowl and let it beat as I prepared the dry ingredients. Flour...check....salt...check check....baking soda....um, wait, where's the baking soda?

A frantic search of the cabinets ensues, and my baking soda is nowhere to be found! I pull out my trusty Betty Crocker Cookbook, look at the guide for emergency substitutes...and nothing. What the heck was I going to do, since I had already gotten 99% of the ingredients ready? I stood there in my kitchen glancing at everything in the hopes that some answer would jump out at me....and it did! Sitting in my spice rack was a lonely little jar of cream of tartar that had all been forgotten. After a quick check of the expiration date, I figured, why not? It's a leavening agent right? Ok, truth be told, I wasn't sure. All I knew of cream of tartar was that it was used in meringue. Seeing as I really had no other option I took a chance, and in when about half a teaspoon of the stuff into the flour mixture. I got all the wet and dry ingredients mixed together, and in went the first batch into the oven.



After about twelve minutes, out came this....


I have to say, this batch turned out delicious! The cookies still managed to 'puff up' and not be all flat and chewy. There was micro-thin layer of crispness on the outside, and they were soft and luscious on the inside. As you can imagine, we were all pleasantly surprised. Jer loved it so much that he kept stalking the cookies, in the hopes that he could eventually sneak in a third or fourth cookie! And my hubby has requested that I nix the baking soda and use cream of tartar from now on when baking up a batch of cookies.


So what lesson did I learn from this? It would have to be this: don't ever be afraid of experimenting in the kitchen, you just never know what delicacies will come to fruition if you take a chance!

And to the sneaky kitchen elves who pilfered my baking soda, you can keep it!

11 blissful whispers...:

Michele said...

Doesn't cream of tartar have baking powder in it? One day my daughter accidentally used baking powder instead of baking soda...and the cookies came out better! We'll have to try cream of tartar and make a comparison...

And, IMO, chocolate-chip cookies are called for in any weather. :-)

Lisa Anne said...

I love me some chocolate chip cookies. I don't care if it's 112 outside, and yes in my town it gets that hot, I'm gonna bake me some cookies too.

lol

Have a great weekend. HAPPY Friday.

thatgirlblogs said...

oh man. now I have to make choc chip cookies today.

I guess there could be worse things to do.

Scrappy Girl said...

Those look SO yummy...I could almost lick the screen...but I won't...I promise. LOL

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmm! Nummm, numm, numm.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Amy said...

it's amazing what you can use to substitute in the kitchen...it's one of my favorite things to do.

Thanks for the comment on my blog, hope you're having a great SITSta Friday!!

Phoenix said...

The pictures are delicious as well :)

The Redhead Riter said...

Now I'm hungry!

Thanks for visiting and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Stopping by from SITS to share the blog ♥ !

Have a great Saturday!

Ali said...

I love "my" Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer too! It really belongs to my sister but she let me borrow it to make cupcakes with several years ago and I've confiscated it--I'm hoping she'll forget that it's actually hers!

And it's ALWAYS a good time to make cookies no matter the temp outside!

One Sassy Girl said...

Crafty!! I love a substitute. An avid baker, I've been depressed since three - count them, THREE - batches of cupcakes have recently bubbled and boiled but not baked. I suspect it's my baking soda since it's the only consistent ingredient in three different recipes. Maybe a dash of cream of tartar will set me right ;)
Did you post your recipe anywhere? I'd love a new one.

Unknown Mami said...

I think you should send this post to the makers of the cream of tartar. There is a whole market out there that they are missing.