Chicken Fra Diavolo

Tasty Thursday presents:


Chicken Fra Diavolo with Roasted Potatoes, Onions and Fennel, and Roasted Garlic Tomato Salsa

I found the original recipe for this in Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book, and I tweeked it just a little bit to my liking. It's such a yummy and flavorful chicken dish, having a mixture of sweet smokyness and heat. This was also the first time I had ever used fennel. I was a little frightened at first and wasn't sure what to make of the huge white-with-green-fronds thingy staring at me on my kitchen counter. After figuring out how to trim and cut the darn thing, we were good to go. Another thing I love about this dish is that's its kind of a one-pot meal (I'll explain kind of in the recipe), which is always nice when you're the designated dish washer in the bunch (do y'all think it's possible my hubby loads the dishwasher all wrong on purpose so I won't let him near it anymore? hmmm ). And although it's not one of her signature 30-minute meals, it was still pretty easy to prepare. Hungry? Is your mouth watering? Well then go get the ingredients and give it whirl!


Ingredients:

3 T. sweet smoked paprika
3 T. grill seasonings (I used Montreal Steak Seasoning)
1 T. chili powder (feel free to add more if you like)
1 T. poultry seasoning
About 3 pounds of meaty chicken pcs. (I used chicken thighs)
2 medium onions, root end intact, quartered lengthwise
1 1/2 to 2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, halved (quartered if they are a bit large)
1 large fennel bulb, trimmed of green fronds, then quartered (make sure to cut out the core sections)
1 head of garlic
1 pint of grape tomatoes (or you can use cherry tomatoes like I did)
Handful each of chopped fresh basil leaves and chopped parsley
Extra virgin olive oil (just have the bottle on hand)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix together the paprika, grill seasoning, chili powder, and poultry seasoning. Then coat the chicken pieces with this spice mixture (the chicken will be a nice deep red color). Next, put the potatoes, onions, and fennel into your roasting pan. Sprinkle with enough extra virgin olive oil to coat the pieces, and season with a little bit of salt and pepper; toss well and spread evenly throughout the pan. Take the coated chicken pieces and lay it directly on top of the vegetables, positioning it towards the middle. Slice the top of the head of garlic off, sprinkle with some olive oil, and wrap it up in a piece of foil. Roast both the wrapped garlic and chicken for 45 to 50 minutes.

About 30 minutes into the cooking time, take a rimmed sheet pan (this is why it's not quite a one-pot meal) and place the tomatoes on it. Sprinkle with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast that too for about 15 to 20 minutes, just until the tomatoes burst. When the garlic and chicken are done take them out. While the chicken and veggies are resting, carefully unwrap the garlic. Trying very hard not to burn your fingers, squeeze out the garlic 'meat' and put into a bowl, then mash it up. Then mix in the roasted tomatoes, chopped basil and parsley. Serve the chicken on a bed of the roasted vegetables, and top with some of the garlic tomato 'salsa'.


Nothing else left to do but enjoy!


8 blissful whispers...:

bluecottonmemory said...

Looks delicious! Have a tasty day!

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Oooh, I always love a new recipe!! Yum.

And by the way... you crack me up DAILY when you comment. No, I don't think that you wanting the prize because it's from me is creepy! Ha! Thanks for the laugh...

Sasha

thatgirlblogs said...

oooh I am so hungry. looks fantastic.

sandy said...

Now that looks so good! (I really need to stop blog hopping when I'm hungry!)

Lisa Anne said...

Rachel Ray is my idol. I love all her recipes. I love her knifes too. If you don't have one you have to get one.

I find I tweek all of her recipes a bit, but the main part of the recipe usually stays the same.

This dish looks so yummy. I will def try it!

Mama Mel said...

Yum! I saw that big bulb of fennel, and I immediately imagined a kitchen filled with the scent of licorice! Mmmm... :)

Deva84 said...

yummy! so delicious!

I tagged you, hope you don't mind. I would love to know you better my new blogger friend!

bisous!

Scrappy Girl said...

That looks so yummy...I'll be right over...