Sockeye


I've always had a special place in my heart for Alaska, having lived there for over ten years. One of the things I miss the most is how available wild-caught Alaskan salmon was. Here on the East Coast, most of the salmon you find at your local grocery store is farmed Atlantic salmon. And although I don't necessarily have anything against the Atlantic variety, there's just something very unique about wild-caught Pacific salmon caught in the waters of Alaska. Nothing quite compares to the taste of them. It is possible to find it here on the East Coast, but usually it costs quite a bit of money, and often times through the freezing, packing, and preservation process, the quality tends to get a little beat up. So imagine my delight when I happened upon a beautiful selection of Sockeye salmon fillets during our Costco trip today! I just had to get it! So tonight I did a simple preparation by cutting the fillet into serving size pieces, then marinating it in a mixture of soy sauce, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, onion powder, a teeny tiny bit of fish sauce, and a pinch of crushed pepper flakes. I purposely wanted the marinade to be subtle because I merely wanted to enhance the true 'ocean' flavor of the fish, not mask or overpower it. After marinating it for a few minutes, I pan seared the salmon in extra-virgin olive oil and a garlic butter compound. I cooked it just enough to get a good sear on the skin, and a little on the flesh side, with the middle remaining just a little bit rare and oh-so tender. And me being me, I had to serve it with steamed Jasmine rice, along with a side of steamed long green beans. The results, I have to say, were great! Jeromy was in heaven because he absolutely loves seafood...and to finally have Alaskan salmon after such a long time was a huge treat. Hopefully it won't be too long before we can have it again.

A very satisfied customer!

2 blissful whispers...:

Windsting said...

It looks so good Maan, I never get tired of our Copper River Reds! Eoghan loves fish too. If we can any, we will send some your way. Anna

Multiple personalities.. said...

That would be awesome! What a luxury that would be to have some wild Copper River Reds. The next time we make it back up there, we'll have to come visit you guys so Eoghan and Malvin can teach my guys how to catch 'em!