Phones, Laptops, and Drama..oh my!

This past weekend is what I would kindly describe as technologically challenging. Or, to put it in simpler terms, I caught a glimpse of Dante's seventh circle of H-E-double hockey sticks when both my Blackberry AND my laptop decided to act up all at once. Yea, a bit dramatic, right? It wouldn't have been had it not been compounded with the fact that this weekend was super-busy, plus hubby and I were trying to celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary (though our actual anniversary is not until the 6th of August). This was supposed to be a fun-filled weekend darn it!

Our drama starts with my Blackberry Pearl, who had been my trusty assistant for the past almost-two years. She was a great tool, helping me stay connected to my cyber friends wherever I went. I discovered on Friday that she was starting to have problems charging, and by the next morning, she was done for. This initiated an impromptu trip to the T-Mobile store, where I found a replacement phone, all the while still mourning the loss of my Pearl. *TEAR* But, life must go on, right?


Saturday evening I find myself getting acquainted with my new Samsung touch-screen phone, while still sad about Pearl, of course. I have my laptop open and running in front of me as well, as I decide to test my phone's Bluetooth capability, when I noticed that the trackpad (the 'mouse' thingy on the laptop) is not functioning properly, and I can't click on anything on the screen. And yes my friends, call me melodramatic, but tears really did start forming in the corners of my eyes. This was NOT how I planned my weekend! A call to tech support Sunday morning revealed the obvious: it was a hardware issue. However, the tech support agent couldn't book me an appointment at the Apple Store's Genius Bar to get my MacBook fixed, as they were fully booked for the next three days. But, she said there would be no harm in just driving up there because they always have people who don't show up for their appointments. I wrangle the guys together and we head out, driving the 20 miles to the Mall. Now hang in there folks, it does get more interesting....

We get to the mall, run up to the top floor, and guess what we found? Can you guess? No? Ok, I'll tell you: a huge black wall where the store's doors are suppose to be, with a big painted sign indicating the store was closed for renovations and would reopen on August 8th! Wow, seriously?! Seriously! My next step, to call Apple tech support on my new phone to give them a serious piece of my mind, and ask WTH they couldn't tell me the store was freakin' closed BEFORE we drove up there. I sit on a bench right in front of the store and open up my laptop to look for the number, and guess what happened? Can you guess?! The darn trackpad now worked!! Apparently all I had to do was drive all the way up to the mall and sit in front of the magical Apple store so it could impart it's magical tech powers to cure my ill MacBook. I then decided it would be best to just pack it up, and just walk away quietly so as not to provoke another strike from the tech spirits. I figured hey, the darn thing is fixed, just be happy about it, and walk away. Karma right?

So that was my weekend... difficult, lots of drama, with a little mourning and crying mixed in, and through the whole thing hubby was incredibly supportive and patient, all while I endured my monthly nervous breakdown. Five years of marriage, and he has definitely developed a patience for my eccentricities...God bless that man!

How was your weekend?


8 blissful whispers...:

Genny said...

Sorry to hear about all your technical troubles! I don't know what I'd do without my phone and laptop. Pretty sad to be so dependent on them, probably. :)

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

What a weekend!

Just wait til I regroup, wipe the blur from my eyes and find the time to upload photos...

Unknown Mami said...

Oh man, I hate it when stuff like that happens and why does it always seem to happen at once?

Congrats on your upcoming anniversary!

Lisa Anne said...

Oh I hate that, poor customer service. I had a spontaneous fun weekend. I wish yours was better. Hopefully you'll have a better week. My blackberry is about to go too. It doesn't vibrate anymore and that was the best part. I really want the new Google G1. But need money first before I can get it.

Deva84 said...

First! Happy 5th Anniversary!!! Congrats!!! /specially after what you wrote about your relationship on my blog!/

Second... My Goodness I hate when technologies stop working and I need to call, shop, figure out what to do and so on... grrr!

Third! I wanted to tell you that apart of following you I put you on my J'adore blog roll!

Have a nice /sans technology problems/ evening!

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

Technology can be so frustrating, yes? Hope all is up and running soon for you.

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day ; -)

jennie.newland said...

Dropping by from the SITS site, and laughing! Your a great writer, to make such a fusterating weekend and writing it to make it funny! I'm sorry that your weekend was bad, but I'm glad that your computer started working for you. As far as the phone have you ever thought of the iphone? Hope to hear more from you soon!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Hilarious, hilarious post at the end. I loved how you referred to the Apple Store as being magical. It very well may be, you know.

In the end, though. I sincerely feel your pain. I get cranky when I feel my connection is not working fast enough. Losing both my laptop and my mobile at the same time would probably send me hurling over the nearest bridge. :)

-Francesca