Herb-a-licious!

It's been a few weeks since I posted in what's supposed to be a weekly Before and After series, but a good look at my window herb garden definitely gave me the inspiration I needed:

A couple of months go by, with Jeromy and I both making sure our little seedlings were watered and loved...


The smaller window in my kitchen, where my herb garden resides, has turned into a veritable miniature forest of beautiful green herbs. The scents of thyme, sweet basil, mint, and parsley grace my little kitchen every day, smelling so fresh and herb-a-licious! I love seeing how those little teeny-tiny seeds, some as small as a pinhead, have blossomed into gorgeous full-grown plumes. It's so nice to have super-fresh herbs on hand when I'm cooking my family's favorite dishes, especially when we're in the mood for home-made Italian cuisine. Jeromy has been faithfully watering and rotating them every day, so he is just as proud as I am of our little window garden. I do have a teensy-weensy little dilemma: what do I do with all of these beautiful herbs?! I do use them as often as I can when I cook, but I can't quite keep up with how fast they're growing. The mint is especially difficult to consume, as they only get used when I drink tea. I would love to find recipes where they can be utilized. For those visiting, feel free to leave any recipe suggestions. I'm thinking of drying my herbs for later use, but I'm not quite sure how to do that properly. Again, to my lovely visitors, feel free to leave suggestions! Until I figure out what to do with them, my herb-a-licious garden will hopefully continue to thrive and flourish.

7 blissful whispers...:

bluecottonmemory said...

What a great before and after. Mint grows wild where I'm from. It can really take over a garden. No, you don't use it much, but it is great to have on hand for when you do. Congrats. on your growing success:)

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

It was so fun to read your comment today! Thank you so much for stopping by. I love before and afters so much. I'm a total sucker for a before and after makeover.

Your blog is so much fun. I love the design and all your fun pictures. Very cute!

roadrunner201 said...

Good job on your herb garden. I seem to kill almost any plant I touch, eventually;-)

Maybe you can learn to dry herbs so that you have some on hand for the future. Or, you could make infused oils to give people as gifts?

Greetings from Guatemala said...

They're growing!! Visiting from SITS! enjoyed your blog.

Multiple personalities.. said...

@roadrunner 201 - What a great idea! I'll have to look into how to make infused oils! Thanks!

WhiteSockGirl said...

Thanks for the visit and the comment on my blog! So much appreciated it.

Your user name scared me at first.

Your banner, love it. The color combination is so lovely.

Anyway back to the post.
I am not much of a cook (that is lie, my cooking is lethal) but I once tried to grew herbs but I read somewhere that working with nature's little jewels can relax you blah blah. Anyway, I killed the little seedlings.

The Mother gave me a lavender plant, in a beautiful pot, because I adore the smell of fresh lavender. I nurtured that plant because I used the little beautiful purple flowers in my bath water. My house smelled beautiful.

Then I had to travel, and I asked someone to look after my house. When I came back a month later, my plant was dead. The excuse of my friend that looked after my house while I was gone? He thought that it was a fake plant because he can't imagine me having a plant. So, since it was fake plant, he did not think that it was necessary to water it.


The scents of thyme, sweet basil, mint, and parsley grace my little kitchen every day, smelling so fresh and herb-a-licious!

Gorgeous scents in your house,... ah! It reminds me about a post I wrote a couple of years ago about the scents in my home! I am going to dug it up now cause I don't have time to write and I am just going to re-publish on blog! Is that cheating? hmm,..

Atlanta said...

Oooh I like the infused oils Idea! =) Stopping by From SITS! Thanks for stopping by and seeing my lonely little blog! =) I know of one thing that I would certainly use the mint for!: Mojitos! yum.... I love that you have your Blog so that you can update family and friends! We are a Military Family and that is one of tha main reasons I started mine! =)