Bittersweet...


Summer of 2003, you were three years old.

Daddy and I were taking you fishing for the first time.

We got you your first fishing pole, Spongebob themed..

..and your first floatie, because Mommy was NOT letting her little big boy
anywhere near the water without one.


Summer of 2009, you are eight years old.

It was just the two of us, going for a walk in the park and the pier.

I still worry a little about you falling in the water, but this time I know you can swim on your own...

...and I'm realizing how my big little boy is growing so fast right before my eyes.

More and more, with each passing day, you venture off on your own, not needing me to hold your hand or hold you back... and this for me is bittersweet. At times I wish you could stay little forever, and that you would never stop needing to hold my hand. But I'm so proud of the young man you're growing up to be... strong, independent, curious, kind.
And you will blaze your own path in this world, arms wide open and unafraid!



Click here to see more BEFORE & AFTERS

18 blissful whispers...:

Cammie said...

I love this!!! I have a similar post a few posts back from our vacation a few weeks ago, I have a sequence of 5 years on the same pier. Scrapbook moms, I swear we take pics with layouts in mind!

Momma G.Love said...

Love this before and after post. They grow up too fast!

Tricia McWhorter said...

Thanks for visiting. Your blog is lovely and you have wonderful photos. Really enjoy your before and afters. I used to tell my girls I wanted to get some freeze spray and freeze them right the way they were because they were just so cute and perfect. Trouble was, I wanted to do that at each stage of their lives. Now they are 21 and 17 and I'm still absolutely loving each stage. Being a mom is the best thing ever.

Lisa Anne said...

WOW. I love this, so heart wrenching, they just grow up so fast!!

david mcmahon said...

I hear you loud and clear. I'm a parent too.

Lady Di said...

It's amazing how fast they grow. My son turned 7 this month and my "baby" girl is now 3. This was a great post, loved the pictures. Thanks for stopping by today and giving the well wishes after reading my crazy tree story.

Brian Miller said...

my two boys are 4 and 6...time flies...my 6 year old goes off to camp next week for 3 days...i will miss him and know he will have grown in leaps and bounds before he returns. congrats on POTD mention.

Pyzahn said...

This was just the sweetest post. I hope you have a lifetime of sweet memories like these.

Mama Mel said...

Awww... this brought a little tear to my eye... I'm a big baby... I'm sure I will have pictures like this of my son, and I'll say, "where did my baby boy go?" This is such a sweet post! :)

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I'm such a nerd, but that gave me chills! They grow up too danged fast.
Your blog is beautiful! And I had to laugh when I saw that you call yourself a book geek; I call myself a Word Nerd!

Kelly Deneen said...

This is such a sweet, sweet post! It totally made me tear up! I like the scrapbook page you made too. :)

Multiple personalities.. said...

To all my visitors and commentors on this post: Thank you all so much for your kind words! I'm glad you all liked it, and it's nice to see how so many of you can identify with the meaning and emotion behind it. Thank you all for visiting my corner of the bloggiverse!

BrnEyedGal said...

Such a great post...Im with ya, mine is six now and I just feel like time is flying by WAY too fast.
Thank Gosh we have our scrapbooks to keep all those wonderful memories right? :)

Joanna Jenkins said...

Great before and after :-)
I stopped by from David McMahon's. Nice to meet you. I'll be back again soon.

Rbarakat said...

What a great idea for photos - I love this! I hope you scrapped this!

The Daily Dose said...

I don't even have kids and your "before and after" shots make me tear up. They grow up so fast!

Mira is triplet crown said...

Oh you made me tear up. I am watching my kids grow like weeds before my eyes. Great idea for before and afters. I'll have to look out for those myself!

Happy SITS saturday sharefest!

meandtheblueskies said...

They grow so fast don't they? My daughter is now 29 and engaged. Enjoy these years cause the really do zoom by. Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest.